Thursday, January 04, 2007

THE POLICE...and music in general

PLEASE BE TRUE. If we have heard this once we've heard it a million times...this is a rumor that will not die...the Police may go on a reunion tour...best news all year ;-) This is a band that really hated each other or rather a guitarist, Steward Copeland, that hated the lead singer and visa versa.

I am a huge music lover. I grew up in a home that was full of music all the time. Jackson Browne, Pete Seeger, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Janice Joplin, Perth County Conspiracy, and my Dad on his guitar. One of my favorite stories is one told to me and not in my conscience memory. As a very little girl I used to like to fall asleep listening to my favorite tape...Bob Marley. My mother recounts how I used to sing along to every song. When I hear any of this music today I fell happy and comforted like visiting with old friends.

Maybe it was the move across the country from Victoria to Toronto, maybe it had already started...I couldn't get enough music...my neighbor Soriah had an older brother that had mountains of music and we would listen to it everyday...this is where we found U2, Talking Heads, and others. Another neighbor, Allison, also had an older brother who worship at the throne of a little band called Depeche Mode. Once I had discovered Depeche Mode it was a whole new world, The Cult, The Clash, The Cure...I used to joke when asked "What's your favorite band?" and say any band that starts with 'The'. And then there was Much Music...another alter of worship...I couldn't wait for the coke-a-cola countdown or the new video hours. I will never forget the first time I saw the cheerleaders with the Anarchy symbols and the blond kid with the green striped t-shirt...music was going to be raw and I was looking forward to it.

Don't get me wrong along the way I have enjoyed some guilty pleasures that maybe I shouldn't mention (knowing that Ali Stewart likes boy bands makes me feel a little more free to admit them)...there was a cute red head called Rick Astley, a hot duo called Wham, and a pair called Rob and Fab...say NO more. If it came out in the 80s and wasn't popular with the parents I know or knew the words. The question remains as my Mum often mentioned...why couldn't I memorize my homework like I could all those songs.

When Sting comes to town I go see him...I haven't miss an opportunity. If the Police come to the US I might have to follow them around a little.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rick Astley! He's one of my favorites. Can I still be your friend if the music I snuck out of my older sister's room was Elton John?

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home